FMT-SAMI900TRA Samsung Phone FM Transmitter


I have a 30 minute commute to and from work, and I like to use that time to listen to various podcasts or recorded TV show, etc.  I know what you're thinking, and no I don't stare at my phone while I'm driving down the freeway.  But I do listen, and I find that it makes the time go by faster.

Until recently I've just been plugging in my headphones to listen because the speaker on my Samsung Epix just doesn't have enough power to play over the road noise.  But last week I found a better solution which can be found here for only $14.  This FMT-SAMI900TRA FM transmitter plugs into the power/headphone socket found on many Samsung phones (see compatibility list below).  It comes with a cigarette light plug which I thought would also charge the phone, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  The unit has a led screen that displays the current broadcast frequency and channel up/down buttons.  Also integrated is a microphone for making phone calls.  When a phone call comes in while your listen to music or something else, the music is automatically paused and you can listen to your call through your car speakers.

Pros:
  • Better than average FM stereo sound quality.  It's not CD quality, but its better than mono bluetooth earpiece or the built in speaker.
  • Small and convenient.
  • More safe than wearing headphones in the car
  • Speakerphone quality is pretty decent
Cons:
  • The lighter plug only powers the transmitter instead of also charging the phone.  Since it plugs into the phone's power socket you better have a good charge on your battery.
  • There seems to be a timeout period in which if there is silence for too long the transmitter goes into sleep mode.  Its good that it's smart enough to save power, but its annoying when all of a sudden your car stereo is blaring a half tuned or static station loudly.
Compatible with the following Samsung models :

    * Omnia SGH-i900
    * Epix SGH-i907
    * Omnia SCH-i910 

    Comments

    DaveT said…
    A slightly more expensive option would be to pick up an Android phone and a Ford vehicle that contains the Microsoft Sync system.. Locate your favorite podcasts in Google listen or some other podcasting tool and stream it hands free via bluetooth. You can also do the same with Shoutcast. When Flash 10.x hits Android almost every piece of streaming audio on the web becomes available.. I am definitely looking forward to that.

    Popular Posts