Backup and Restore Chrome Bookmarks

I recently migrated to a new Macbook Pro at work and didn't have much luck when Googling how to migrate bookmarks from one laptop to the other. Note: I don't use Chrome's bookmark synch functionality and I realize that is one solution for migrating bookmarks. I don't want work/personal bookmarks to co-mingle and I don't want another gmail account for work so I had to find another solution for moving my bookmarks.

I found that Chrome stores bookmarks in a JSON formatted file named "Bookmarks" (clever, right?). You can simply copy this file from the source computer and overwrite it on the target (you should probably close Chrome on each first to be safe).

OSX path:
/users/YOUR_USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks


Windows 7 path:
C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Bookmarks


Comments

Popular Posts